As we are now in the heart of summer and the weather is warmer we look for simple refreshing and light options for meals. I am back cooking with Giada’s Italy cookbook and this salad is a perfect light meal for warm weather. This summer salad is super easy and so refreshing served by itself or beside some grilled chicken and a crisp Rose. This is quick and can be done ahead of time. I put the corn on the bbq the night before so it was charred and sweetened from the grill. In the morning I cut the corn off the cob and set it aside.
The ingredients are simple: (adapted from @GiadasItaly)
- 1 nectarine, 1 peach cut into small wedges
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 fresh Fresno or serrano chile, thinly sliced (I did not have fresh chiles so sprinkled on 1/4 tsp. chili powder)
- 2 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 ears of corn, barbecued cooled and cut off cob
- 4 oz. burrata drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- Rustic Italian Loaf
In a medium bowl combine cut up fruit, basil, chili powder, white balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Salt lightly and toss gently to combine. Let sit for an hour in the refrigerator. Then toss in corn. To serve, spoon mixture on a platter add torn up burrata and pistachios and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and olive oil. Serve with warm crusty bread.
I’ve added chicken to this salad as well for a meal for lunch. The combination of sweet, salty,and spicy is a perfect blend and light for those warm summer days and evenings. Delizioso.
Love and Light,
Jeanine on the Scene