I am catering a “Bunco” brunch in October and was looking for quiche alternatives for those with gluten allergies. I found this recipe from @Cookie+kate for an almond meal gluten free crust and created the lobster quiche. Almond Meal and Almond flour are both finely ground almonds and basically the same. Almond meal can be blanched (skins removed) or unbalanced, while most products labeled almond flour are blanched. I used Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour and use it for me cookies and lots of other baking. The crust has garlic and thyme in it, making it very savory and light.
Gluten Free Almond crust
- 2 cups almond meal or almond flour
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed and minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. water
Press down crust into prepared pan.
Lobster (or crab), arugula, bella mushroom filling
- 1 Lobster tail, shelled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups whole bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup lactose free sour creme
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 10 inch glass pan Pyrex Glass Bakeware Pie Plate 9″ x 1.2″ Pack of 2 with olive oil. Combine crust ingredients in a bowl, mixing the dry ingredients first then add the olive oil and water and mix well.
- Press the dough into the prepared pie pan, making sure to move up 1/4 inch on the sides and disbursing evenly. Bake 15-50 minutes or until the crust is golden but not too brown.
- In a frying pan add olive oil, mushrooms and a little salt, stirring until tender. Toss in the lobster meat and cook for another minute or two until pink. Turn off heat and add arugula, tossing gently until wilted. Take off heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper and sour creme. Fold in pecorino cheese and then the mushroom mixture.
- Pour into finished crust, spreading evenly and bake in oven for 35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch and knife pulls out clean.
Fold in the arugula, mushroom lobster mix to the eggs.
The crust is light and flaky with the savory thyme, garlic and salt, yum!
- Love and Light,
- Jeanine on the Scene